Gatis is run by volunteers and many of us are self-employed as well, we help to support our volunteers to become self-employed if they want to.
We believe this new business model will benefit the Gatis Site, The Community, our Staff and our Volunteers by making the company and the volunteers self-sustainable. Our self-employed volunteers run part of their businesses from Gatis (such as selling wares and running workshops) whilst volunteering alongside, we aim to build on this model into the future and support more local self-employed people and offering more volunteer opportunities.
You don’t have to be self-employed to volunteer with us, our volunteers are the driving force behind Gatis and we would not be here without them. We consider all our volunteers part of our “Gatis Family” and always welcome new additions to the group.
If you would like to join our team of dedicated volunteers please email our Volunteer Manager Amy at email@example.com
How can volunteering help you?
- It can help you build a greater sense of self-worth, which in turn can help alleviate mental health issues such as Anxiety and Depression.
- It can be a way of building on your skill set and acquiring new skills and training.
- It’s a way of building self-confidence and carving out your place in society.
- It’s a great way of meeting new friends and combatting loneliness. There are many emotional and mental health benefits of connecting with others, it has been seen to help with addiction problems among other things.
- It can be a segway into a new career, job or even a whole new life!
- Your time volunteering can be a valuable addition to your CV if you’re looking for a job or you’re a student interested in work experience.
- It can be full time or part time to suit your schedule. Some people have been isolated for a while and need a gentle re-entry into the community.
- Doing things for others where the aim is not solely for yourself or money is incredibly beneficial and can change your whole perspective on life!
- It can be a great way of networking and reaching out to your community. Activists often volunteer in their local area to keep abreast of local issues. It’s a way of having a “voice” and making a change for good, forming groups of like-minded people who come together to make their neighborhood a better place.
Some of our current Volunteering Roles include:
Supporting staff in administration of day to day activities, events, groups, funding applications and data collection, working on-site in our office. Some experience would be great and a knowledge of spreadsheets and Word etc..
Can you help in our Community Café on busy days and during events? Some cleaning and waiting tables is required and shop runs on occasion. Although the café is sometimes quiet, Steve can get quite overrun on busy days! Poor fella! Depending on your level of interest and skill you could be involved in running workshops and be part of the development of the Café.
Social Media & Event Support
Are you a whizz on Facebook? Can you help our staff to regularly update our social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter and creating timetables of events? You would be working with a small marketing team to create and link events between posters and Social Media and sometimes working solo.
We need volunteers to help promote our events. Working with social media support to create posters, flyers and event pages on Facebook. Leaflet drops and poster campaigns are a big part of our process but you are very welcome to work out a new/additional marketing strategy if you have any ideas.
General cleaning duties include sweeping, mopping, toilets, wiping tables, washing up and floor buffing.
You would be part of a small team of regular volunteers assisting with growing and upkeep of the community garden, supporting the gardening club and general maintenance duties including, watering, composting and cleaning. Depending on your level of interest and skill you could be involved in the planning and creation of the outside area and garden as we work on developing the site.
Help to maintain the grounds, play equipment, sand pits, and build raised beds. Join in with general tidying of the site including sweeping, leaf blowing and litter picks. You will be involved in helping the team develop the site and depending on your level of interest and skill, be part of the planning process too.
If you have any time to volunteer, skills you’d like to use, groups you’d like to set up or find yourself at a loose end please do contact Amy at firstname.lastname@example.org